The concept of detoxification has gained significant popularity in recent years, extending beyond dietary cleanses to encompass various aspects of our health.
Detoxifying the armpits may seem peculiar, but it is a growing trend aimed at enhancing underarm health and reducing exposure to potentially harmful substances.
Antiperspirants are made to reduce the production of sweat. Their active ingredient is aluminum salts which dissolve into your skin’s surface, creating a barrier. It blocks your sweat glands temporarily and reduces the amount of sweat released.
There has also been a lot of speculation if using these type of deodorants are one of the reasons we’re seeing so many cases of breast cancer.
The armpits are located beneath the shoulders and are home to numerous sweat glands and lymph nodes. These glands regulate body temperature and eliminate toxins through sweat production.
Why Do Armpits Need Detoxing?
Over time, the armpits can accumulate an array of substances that can potentially hinder their natural detoxification process.
Factors like daily exposure to environmental pollutants, using conventional antiperspirants and deodorants containing chemicals, and accumulating bacteria can contribute to this build-up.
Detoxing your armpits helps eliminate these accumulated substances, allowing the sweat glands to function optimally and maintain a healthier underarm environment.
Benefits of an Armpit Detox
#1: Eliminates odor-causing bacteria
Detoxing your underarms can prevent the petri dish of stinky bacteria that builds up from conventional deodorants and antiperspirants.
#2: Removes product and clogged pores
Since antiperspirants temporarily clog sweat glands to prevent sweating, an armpit detox helps unclog and purify pores.
#3: Eliminates harsh ingredients on your skin
An armpit detox and using a natural deodorant prevents many chemical-laden deodorants and antiperspirants from being on or absorbed by your body.
#4: Controls odor
As less sweat comes to the surface of your skin, less odor results. Deodorants stop sweat from smelling but don’t stop sweat itself. An armpit detox prevents odor-triggering bacteria from forming.
Ways to Detox Your Armpits:
- Use Natural Deodorants: Conventional antiperspirants often contain aluminum, parabens, and synthetic fragrances that can clog sweat glands and interfere with their detoxification process. Opt for natural alternatives, such as deodorants made with baking soda, arrowroot powder, essential oils, and other plant-based ingredients, to allow for better sweat gland function while neutralizing odors effectively.
- Dry Brushing: Incorporating dry brushing into your skincare routine can aid in the detoxification process. Before showering, use a soft-bristled brush to brush your underarms in circular motions gently. This practice helps stimulate lymphatic drainage, exfoliates the skin, and promotes the removal of toxins from the armpit area.
- Apple Cider Vinegar Cleanse: Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has natural antimicrobial properties and can detoxify your armpits. Dilute ACV with water in a 1:1 ratio and apply the mixture to your underarms using a cotton ball. Let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing off in the shower. ACV helps restore the skin’s pH balance, reduces odor-causing bacteria, and promotes detoxification.
- Bentonite Clay Mask: Bentonite clay is renowned for drawing out impurities from the skin. Create a paste by mixing bentonite clay with water and apply it to your underarms. Leave the mask on for approximately 10-15 minutes before rinsing thoroughly. This natural remedy helps remove toxins, absorbs excess moisture, and supports the overall detoxification process.
- Sweating: Engaging in activities that induce sweating, such as exercise or saunas, can aid in detoxifying your armpits. Sweating promotes the elimination of toxins through the skin, including those accumulated in the underarm area. Remember to cleanse your armpits thoroughly after sweating to maintain hygiene.
Detoxifying your armpits is a proactive approach to support their natural function and maintain a healthier underarm environment.